I watched Julie & Julia the other night and it really made me want to write again. Not because I think I'm such a talented writer, but because it's one of my favorite outlets and I don't get many opportunities to be creative (not counting entertaining K while she's pooping by seeing how many things I can make out of a square of toilet paper, because I did this for 20 minutes today and she was hysterical.) And I love giving my opinion. Having a blog is like the perfect opportunity for someone like me to just rant and rave about whatever pops into my sometimes deranged mind and then go on about my day.
But then I read a post like my sister's tonight. And it was talking about how this stranger e-mailed her to trash her and tell her what a horrible person she is because of a blog she wrote. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not so thin-skinned that I give a pile of steaming poo what Joe Schmoe from Alamo thinks about me. I stopped somewhere in my 20's caring if, as Sally Fields put it, "You like me." But at the same time, I don't exactly want to get lambasted because I made an off-color joke, or talked about my dysfunctional relationship with my mother. I realize that with the freedom of speach for me comes the freedom of speach for these wing nuts. (you really gotta be angry to go out of your way to write a stranger an e-mail about a blog they post)
And then there's the privacy factor. My husband is a very private person. One of my favorite things about him is he never talks about himself or anyone else. (sometimes this can be maddening, like when he gets off the phone with his cousin or a friend he hasn't spoken with in years and I ask what's new with them or what's going on and he's like "oh, not much" and that's all I get) And he certainly never shares his thoughts and feelings like I do on a regular basis. I like just being me. I like that I don't have to be a different me depending on who I'm with. I like being somewhat of an open book, no mysteries here. But then I had little K. And things really changed. I shudder at the thought of some pervie stranger whacking one off to pictures of me bathing my beautiful little girl. Or the thought of one of my less-than-stellar ex's finding me and then *finding* me after they're released from jail or the military or their cult or whatever. I really waver back and forth between wanting to post every little thought that pops into my brain to never writing anything more personal than a one-liner once a day on facebook.
I had a friend say to me the other day, "don't you blog? Give me your Web site, I want to read it." And I had to laugh uncomfortably and say how I don't really write much anymore. And I HATE that. Because writing used to be one of my biggest passions. And it sucks when I read people's blogs or facebook posts and it's only ever "life is so amazing and here's us making Christmas cookies and posing in front of our perfect tree" Because doing what I do for a living, I hear people's secrets. I know no one leads a perfect, happy, straight from a yoga class-high life. I tend to be more amused by the splashes from a puddle when a bus drove by me type of life introspections anyway. That's the real stuff. The zit on your face, can't poop after 20 minutes of straining, farting in a crowded elevator, bad breath when you're whispering in a movie theater. That's way more interesting to me than the posed pictures and fortune cookie insights.
I guess I need to learn how to balance it. Because this not writing at all thing is really getting to me. Or I need to just make my blog private or something. I don't know the answer. I do know that putting my thoughts out there on the Internet for all to read is what I do when I hit publish.
I also know that besides my sister and maybe one friend no one is going to read this anyway. So I'm pretty sure there's no book deal, reality show, or People magazine interview in my future.
Maybe an Oprah makeover (I wish). I don't know. Maybe I can let go of my hangups and figure out how to share and not overshare. There was a part in that Julie/Julia movie where she and her husband are screaming and fighting and he's like, "and do NOT blog about this fight" and I really don't want that to ever be us. But what on earth do I talk about if not him, me, our daughter, our life and my experiences in it? Maybe I just make lists of good books and movies.
Or celebrities who need to be my friend. Or I just go back to not writing and lamenting the fact that I never write....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
So, I'm not your mom or your sister, but I love that you blog, too. And just in case you think I'm some stalker, I'll just let you know right up front that this is Tiffany, the Tiffany you used to work with in that other county ;o)
And I, too, struggle with the same exact things you have "published" here. I waiver and vascillate about taking my blog private again, but I don't do anything about it.
I love to write as well and have made a few "bloggy" friends through the deal - so, for that, I am grateful.
So, for me, at the end of the day, I just do what I do and write what I want and what I have time for (or don't) and leave it at that.
Now - when my blog starts paying me, then we'll talk renegotiations ;o)
Post a Comment