Something that truly amazes me about people is their sense of entitlement. People think that because they were done wrong or their ancesters were done wrong that something is owed to them. Sometimes this is monetary, other times respect. Really I don't think you deserve anything you haven't earned. I suppose because I was raised by hardworking people, I have never questioned what I should do each and every day of my adult life. You go to work.
Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying stay-at-home moms aren't working hard. That's an underpaid, unappreciated job that never ends and only has the benefit of knowing your kids are well taken care of and you are in control of your household. So this is the hardest job on earth.
I'm talking about the people who don't work but earn money from a trust fund or parent's estate and think they *deserve* this money because it was their parents. Or people who come from a parent who was a successful business owner. If they are not willing to roll their sleeves up and get dirty in the family business, I personally don't think they deserve any of the rewards. Now, understand me. I was raised spoiled. I didn't know we weren't rich until I was at least in high school. I also think not understanding the value of money, hard work, and earning everything I have gave me a skewed perspective that it has taken me 20 years to work on straightening.
I am one of the lucky few. I love my job. Yes, it can be horribly stressful and there are nights I wish I had more time to sleep instead of work. But I genuinely enjoy doing what I do, making money at it, and knowing that when I have nice things or live in a nice house or drive a nice car, for the most part (my in-laws are extremely generous) I have earned it all. I am trying to instill this in Kennedy. It's something I'm going to have to work harder at over the next few years. But, as I said before, I enjoy a little hard work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment