Sunday, April 19, 2009

What would you take?

I want to start off by saying all is well and thank goodness for the brave and hardworking Orange County firefighters.

The last two days, our neighborhood has been covered by black, acrid smoke. Apparently two different fires broke out (I'm not sure of the how's, where's or when's) in the last two days and both were VERY close to my neighborhood. They were so close today, in fact, that the Orange County Fire Department left a recorded message on our answering machine, telling us that we are on alert and might be evacuated.

Well, I went into high gear. I packed an evacuation bag. I walked through my house, looking around at all my wonderful belongings and realized that although I love my house and my *stuff* very much, in the event of an emergency, the only things that matter to me in the world is my family and my two dogs. Of course, in my evacuation bag, I packed all of our important papers. I packed up my work bags. And then I sort of wandered around a bit, wondering what else I should attempt to pack up. Thank goodness, Travis was calmly eating the lunch I'd just made and convinced me to stop packing and come eat before it got cold. I didn't get to keep wandering around my house and figure out what else to take. As the day wore on, the huge black clouds of billowing smoke petered off to a haze of stinky yellow hanging around and I realized the imminent danger had passed.

But it's funny to realize. I love my books. I love my pictures hanging on the walls. I love Kennedy's toys and clothes (and a few of my own). I love all our gadgets and electronics and comfie furniture. But really, the ONLY thing that matters is us. And that we're all okay. All the other stuff is just that, stuff.

2 comments:

Shari Sherman said...

OMG, thank God it passed. I saw something on TV about a fire being near Bithlo, but I just kinda passed it off, thinking, it's probably not near you guys.

I've been doing a lot of evaluating what's important to me lately too, and basically the stuff is just stuff, as long as you have each other, that's all you need. Even photos, the memories are in your brain. It's like the Irish saying....if you're lucky enough to be Irish, you're lucky enough. In this instance, it should be, "if you're lucky enough to have each other, you're lucky enough." I'm glad the smoke has cleared. Now you need a good rain. (If your paintings burned in a fire, I would paint you new ones!)

Yes, THAT Tonya said...

Wow. I don't watch the news ever, and only really glance headlines when I read Google news. I never had any idea that stuff was so close to you!! I'm so glad you and Travie and K and Moj and Kup are safe!

I miss you! I owe you an email or phone call soon. It's been way too long. I sent you a text on your bday, but I don't know if you got it. If not, happy belated birthday! I will be in touch with you soon! I love you! :*