Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Happy Hump Day


For some reason, Deuce Bigelo is on my tv, Travis is sleeping (and has been for WAY too long for this awful movie to still be showing) and I am goofing off surfing the internet with work spread out on my lap being ignored. And all I can think about is HOW did they make a sequel to this movie? Who financed that moment in cinematic history?

So yesterday, I went to blog and sat here staring at my computer screen. Completely at a loss for words. And really, as much as I'm a Chatty Cathy, it's rare for me to be wordless. I just have so much to say and so little time to say it. Sometimes I wish I could just blog as I'm driving or sitting or working or whatever. Like just tap into my brain and type words into my blog as I think. Wow. Let me take that back. I'm pretty sure this would be horrifying and everyone would know how often I think about my double (and sometimes triple depending on the angle) chin. And everyone would know how obsessed I can get about things. Tonight my obsession was seeds. I've been doing a bit of gardening and I really want some things to grow that we can eat. Last year, the crop was strawberries and there were exactly THREE berries that made it. I'm hoping this year I'm a little more successful.

So our household has moved to the final room in the Carosel of Progress! You know the one, where they used to sing "now is the time, now is the best time, now is the best time of your life" (the ride is still there at the Magic Kingdom, they've just f-ed up the song). Last night and tonight, we skyped with Trav's parents. What a neat way for everyone to talk all at the same time and for Kennedy to participate a little. She hates the phone, but so far, the video conferencing has entertained her. She sits glued to it, like it's an Elmo video. At least tonight she said "Nonnie" a few times to her grandmother. Most of the time she just sat there eating her dinner and pointing at them.

Last thought. I realized a bit ago how to tell if a person (or muppet) is crazy. Look into their eyes. If they are fixed, move about in a normal fashion, and can actually focus on things for periods of time, they are probably NOT crazy. If they are googly eyes, like cookie monster's and they roll around in their heads as they throw their heads around, pure straight jacket. Don't get me wrong. I have come to the conclusion that we are ALL crazy, just to different degrees. Some of us are way more functional than others. And some people drift back and forth from crazytown to reality. I have certainly had extended vacations to crazytown. But I like to think I stay mostly grounded in reality. I work, take care of my family, and groom myself appropriately.

So what made me think of all this craziness? I was taking a depo of a girl. She was my age-ish, attractive enough and living with her parents, never married, no kids. Then she admitted to collecting social security disability at a grand a month. So I'm looking at her trying to figure out what's her deal. She's had menial part-time jobs; hostessing, cashiering, that type of thing. Then she divulges what her diagnosis is for social security. Bi-polar. Ah. I see her eyes. Googly. Makes total sense now.

Picture of Kennedy is example of how to hide your googly eyes. That day she was seriously cookie monster crazy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristin,
I'm always checking for signs o' crazy. Last night I was waiting outside a convenience store in the car, which my husband so thoughtfully parked in front of the pay phone... which was surrounded by meth tweakers pushing shopping carts by the time Scot emerged from the store. Those folks were wild-eyed and twitchy and skeeving me out. -- Amy, your middle school BFF

Kristin D said...

How f-ing cool is that, that my middle school BFF can comment on my 36-year-old blog ramblings. This world is a magical place!